super-high-level ‘what I do’
Accomplished information professional with 25+ years of diverse experience in global technology environments. Seasoned in building, growing, and leading high-performing digital asset management, enterprise content management and taxonomy teams and programs. Board member. Proven track record of collaborating globally across all organisational levels to evangelize programs and advance multiple concurrent complex initiatives. Hands-on team leader and executive influencer with excellent communication, collaboration, organisation, analytical, negotiation, and problem-solving skills. Certified beer judge & regular podcaster.
Digital Asset Management (DAM) + Creative Operations + Enterprise Content Management + Digital Transformation + Product Management + Program Management + Metadata & Taxonomy Strategy + Digital Transformation + Team Building & Training + Content Strategy + Vendor Selection & Management + Knowledge Management + Change Management + Organisational Structure Definitions + Public Speaking + Workplace Diversity & Inclusion + Corporate Culture + Beer & Brewing + Podcasting
Executive Consultant, ICP
Dublin, Ireland (and London, UK – Remote)
Senior leader in DAM and content operations, bridging consulting and business development
- Own strategy and business plan for the Life Sciences space around the globe
- Create, deliver and facilitate thought leadership on DAM and content operations in Life Sciences
- Serve as executive consultant on Life Sciences projects
- Build relationships and develop business
- Consult and develop in other verticals as needed
Instructor, Rutgers University Digital Asset Management Certificate Program
Dublin, Ireland (Remote)
Industry expert teaching continuing and professional education students about DAM standards and best practices
- Provide instruction through online course management platform on Integrations and the Content Landscape
- Lead discussion forum posts & engage regularly with students
- Provide regular, constructive student feedback on assignments & presentations
- Lead instructional weeks and mark student work
VP DAM Evangelist, Digizuite
Dublin, Ireland (and Odense, Denmark – Remote)
Thought leadership & DAM communication; part of Marketing Leadership Team providing input to product & driving content strategy
- Participate in development of new marketing concepts/programs
- Thought leadership and public speaking at industry events
- Participate in product launch campaigns
- Define and create the content for customer and partner newsletters
- Participate in market research and other strategic cross-functional projects
- Provide input to packaging/messaging around implementation
- 1-2-1 inspiration sessions with prospects and clients
- Develop and deliver webinars
- Write scripts for product videos
- Lead topical workshops with customers and prospects on topics such as taxonomy & DAM best practices
- Provide ongoing coaching to existing customers on new DAM opportunities and upgrades
Global Director, Digital Asset Management, Novartis
Global product owner for digital asset management (DAM). Serve as core member of senior leadership team for content creation and management in a highly-regulated, complex pharmaceutical environment.
- Built & launched a new Aprimo DAM in 3 weeks in response to COVID-19
- Rolled out new enterprise DAM to 11 markets in 2020
- Defining DAM product strategy: functionality, roadmap & services
- Manage backlog in Jira & consult with vendor to prioritise new features
- Drive Agile product releases every 3 weeks
- Enterprise taxonomy owner & governance expert
- Culture Catalyst – driving organisational evolution through culture role modelling
- Own & evolve roadmap for DAM & modular content, including aggressive worldwide rollout through 2022
- Design organisational structure, recruit and develop globally-distributed, remotely-managed DAM team
- Culture Catalyst: role modelling & driving adoption of new company behaviours
Manager, Browse Development & Taxonomy, Amazon.com
Seattle, WA, USA
Spearheaded global digital product and content strategies across all Amazon.com sites. Lead and mentored a 10-person global taxonomy team in supporting all content development strategies and continuous improvement initiatives. Set and guided global goals and standardisation processes, owned departmental roadmaps, and developed innovative taxonomy workflows.
- Cultivated an atmosphere of high-quality and unique technical content and taxonomy development at all levels.
- Liaised between technical and business teams to define objectives and translate goals into actionable measures.
- Developed career path and growth opportunities for staff spanning junior and senior-level taxonomy roles.
- Mentored all staff in learning additional complex modelling and program management skills.
- Defining and directed a new worldwide organisational restructure, including creating new role descriptions, developing new reporting structures, and designing new tool processes and best practices.
- Served as the worldwide owner of Prime Video, Kindle, Audible, Digital Music, AppStore, and Alexa Skills taxonomies and content models.
Technical Program Manager; Senior Program Manager, Amazon Web Services
Seattle, WA, USA
As Senior Program Manager, Culture:
Advanced historic growth capabilities by researching company culture, creating and launching cultural growth and evolution
methodologies, and driving diversity and inclusion goals across a global company footprint.
- Authored numerous white papers and facilitated presentations across all internal audience levels.
As TPM, Security Assurance:
Created a robust program to drive new content, knowledge, and digital asset management systems and standards within Amazon Web Service’s Security Assurance. Led technical staff, including a technical writer, in continuously improving global documentation and content standards. Directed planning and execution of external events, including Grace Hopper ’16.
- Documented all process flows, managed vendor selection and relationships, and advanced overall efficiency.
- Managed the AWS Security blog editorial calendar for the department and served as an author and ghostwriter.
- Volunteered with Amazon Women in Engineering, WiSE, and other groups to increase tech workforce diversity.
Global Content Librarian, GlaxoSmithKline
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Director-level role as global product manager and business owner for the library platform; utilised Adobe CQ5/AEM to support all enterprise digital asset management and web content management for global multi-channel marketing.
- Directed numerous change management, process improvement, and Lean initiatives to further enhance footprints.
- Oversaw a large-scale metadata application and taxonomy model implementation.
- Developed documentation and online training materials to ensure alignment of staff knowledge across the globe.
- Analysed overall usage, gathered requirements, and planned for future platform improvements.
Operations Manager/Technical Content Manager, Elsevier
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Managed operational readiness and technical content management initiatives for software releases and product updates to the content platform. Cultivated and grew vendor relationships and facilitated critical cross-functional communications.
- Created and delivered a diverse range of sales, marketing, and customer service training for a global workforce.
- Reviewed and triaged XML defects in collaboration with an external vendor to drive content pipeline improvement.
- Provided subject matter expertise to CMS and other enterprise development projects in an Agile environment.
- Directed web content management initiatives and editorial choices, managed a team of freelance STEM writers, and produced weekly eNewsletters and social media content.
- Managed eBook updates via offshore vendor.
- Increased web traffic by developing and implementing best practice social media engagement strategies.
Assistant Archivist, Drexel University College of Medicine
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Directed a large-scale digitisation project while simultaneously managing digital assets and researcher reference services.
- Developed the Legacy Center’s social media strategy, editorial calendar, and overall content strategy.
- Planned and managed special archival and college events.
additional roles include…
Director of Web Design & Development, JTE Multimedia, Berwyn, PA (2010)
Senior Web Specialist, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, PA (2006 – 2007)
Web Production Editor, Nature Publishing Group, New York, NY (2003 – 2005)
Content Manager, New York City Department of Health, New York, NY (2002 – 2003)
e-Team Logistics Manager, Hewlett-Packard, Cupertino, CA (2001 – 2002)
Web Project Manager, Juniper Networks, Sunnyvale, CA (2001)
Web Production Manager, Women.com Networks, San Mateo, CA (1998 – 2001)
Web Developer, Time Out, London, UK (1996 – 1997)
MS in Library and Information Science
Palmer School of Library and Information Science
Long Island University, Brookville, NY, USA
Coursework in Knowledge Organization, Metadata, Archives, Cataloging, Rare Books & Special Collections
MA in Archaeology
University College London, London, UK
Dissertation on the trade of amber in the late bronze/early iron age in Northern Europe
BA in Archaeology
Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
Rare Book School: The Printed Book in the West since 1800
Individual classes: Human-computer interaction, software engineering, database design, German for reading
board of directors/volunteering
Current: National Library of Ireland, DAM Guru, Novartis Culture Catalysts
Previous: Amazon Women in Engineering, Board member, DAM Foundation; leadership team, facilitator, GSK Women’s Leadership Initiative
bigger freelance gigs
Podcaster, Beer Ladies Podcast
Contributing editor, Hello Race Fans
Freelance beer history writer, Serious Eats Drinks
Blogger, New York Times, TheRail
Co-organizer, designer & webmaster, THATCamp Austin
Archaeologist, Ashkelon Excavations
2017 DAM Salary Survey, DAM Foundation, September 4, 2018
Why Your Tech Company Needs an Archaeologist to Fix Your Corporate Culture, Hackernoon, April 24, 2017
DAM Expands Its Reach in the Enterprise, CMS Wire, September 21,2016
Librarian Tips for DAM Managers: Standards and Metadata, DAM Guru, May 7, 2015
Beer Mythbusting: The Truth About Pilgrims, Adjuncts, and Prohibition, Serious Eats, November 12, 2012
The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Trainer? The New York Times, October 28, 2010